Fiona Willis went swimming at Redleaf Pool in Sydney’s east on Monday morning after swells at Bondi Beach caused by Tonga’s Hunga Hunga Ha’apai volcano shut down Icebergs Pool and her two sons’ classes.
A dangerous surf warning was issued Monday by the Bureau of Meteorology urging the state’s east coast to consider staying out of the water in light of heavy swells caused by the eruption.
“My six-year-old is really struggling to learn to swim with all the disruption for the past two years. We thought it would be nice to go to an outdoor pool, but so many swimming teachers have contracted COVID-19 after the Omicron strain,” she said.
Until recently, Ms Willis worked as a communications manager in the financial industry, but found it too difficult to juggle the demands of homeschooling, caring for her youngest son and a full-time job. charge.
“It was too much. My youngest child’s preschool closed, I was working all evening and just couldn’t go on,” she said.
The Willis are in limbo as they await a move to Western Australia when the state border reopens in February.
“We can’t even look at accommodation yet because we don’t know if we will have to quarantine at the hotel or if they will change their plans at the last minute, it’s incredibly stressful.”
For Ms. Willis, the worst thing is not knowing where or when they will be able to enroll their son in school.
“The delayed reopening of the borders robs us of any stability and the last year has already been difficult enough,” she said.
Despite all the complications and pressure of the past two years, Mrs. Willis finds comfort in all the quality time she has spent with her children over the past year.
Stay on top of the most crucial pandemic-related developments with the Coronavirus Update. Subscribe to the weekly newsletter.